Saturday, July 24, 2010

PJ Dorsey's

116 Walton St. Syracuse, NY 13202
Grade: B+

I can feel my love/hate relationship with Armory Square beginning to form already. Love: close (about a $7 cab ride), large concentration of bars/clubs, good place to go if you want something more upscale than a dive and, at the same time, would not like to be shot. Hate: Basically an abbreviation of Pittsburgh's South Side with all of the interesting "alternative" bars taken out, no dance opportunities outside of your typical Top 40 fare, and the whole area feels very college-y.

PJ Dorsey's is pretty much the typification of everything listed above, and I don't know that I'll ever feel truly comfortable hanging out at  a place like that. What can be said, though, is that their men's room is far nicer than I would have expected. There are plenty of facilities available (three urinals and a toilet stall), and the room is clean with a very modern feel. The tile rises above the utilitarian sort by adding a pleasant earth-toned color scheme.

The soap dispenser is located on the wall behind the sinks, past the hand dryer and next to the door. This means you have to reach a ways back at an awkward angle while washing your hands, and as a result there is a constant pool of water on the ground. I don't see why the dispenser wouldn't have fit along the wall at the sink.

Someone seems to have edited the sticker on the mirror so that instead of "Wash hands after using the toilet," it now reads "Wash hair while using the toilet." I can appreciate this sort of clean humor, when so many men's room walls are covered in crude (albeit often hilarious) garbage.

Also, the framed "Zen Sarcasm" poster on one of the urinal dividers. As far as I can tell, none of the quotes on the poster actually adhere to the definitions of sarcasm with which I'm familiar. This seems to back me up. Gee, what a super clever poster.









No comments:

Post a Comment